Tuesday, April 21, 2009

More Flowers, Many Shapes

Here are a few more photos from my walk yesterday.  So many different ways a flower can form!

Flower buds of an Ash tree. I don't know whether Black or White Ash.  It was growing by the river.


Dutchman's Breeches:  How does a pollinator get inside? I think that yellow part opens up as the bloom matures.


Trout Lily:  Three petals, three sepals, all of them yellow.  Can you tell which is which?


Somebody told me this is Yellow-flowered Grass.  I tried to decipher a grass guidebook once and put it down more confused than enlightened.  So I'll just have to take that person's word about this plant.  I love the tousled hair of that blossom.  Looks like it just woke up.  Which it did.

4 comments:

John W. Wall said...

I'd be tempted to go with sedge as opposed to grass, but that still doesn't make an ID easy. :P

catharus said...

The ash looks like a male flower; would you concur? Yes, the last looks a lot like a sedge.

Ellen Rathbone said...

Sedges have edges and rushes are round; grasses have nodules where elbows are found.

I have a grass book at home...I'll see what I can scare up for you. :)

Tom Arbour said...

This is a Carex- Maybe Carex plantaginea.